Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Week 2: Sylvia Allan

Oh my goodness, I want to have Sylvia Allan's brain. She seriously is so inspiring. I love how she loves morning meetings. One of my favorite things she said was "Morning meetings is a place where every student can be 100% successful." After her presentation, I really believe that.

She has her own model that goes like this.
1. Class Creed
2. Greetings (Moday only)
3. Pledge
4. Memorization
5. Class Business
6. News
7. Share
8. Class Cheer

I thought this was a great model and very easy to use.

I love the idea of a class creed. I loved the creed she used from UVU. But I think it would be great to come up with a creed that the class makes up.

The thing I really took away from this lesson, more than the modeling of a morning meeting, was seeing how Sylvia cared about her students. From the stories she told, I could feel her caring for them. It really inspired me to become a teacher that truly cares for her students. I loved how her model of morning meeting is super positive. If there was an issue that needed to be taken care of, she would refer to it as "medicine" and no one really wanted any medicine.

I am very excited to try morning meetings in the school where I teach. I hope the school I work at supports them. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. You're definitely on the right track -- for becoming the kind of teacher you know your students will need! (3 pts.)

    ReplyDelete