Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Week: 1 Introduction to Differentiation and Dr. Peterson

When I first walked into this class, I really didn't have a solid idea of what differentiation was. Our first activity was a "Morning Meeting". Now I had heard about morning meetings before but I really hadn't participated in one. I really liked the one we did that day. I know they are meant for elementary school kids, but I also liked doing it with my cohort. We were able to interact with each other.

The four componets of the morning meeting are:

1. Greeting: have you students greet each other and feel welcome in the classroom

2. Sharing: there are many different ways students can share news. This can be from a sign up sheet where they can take a little bit more time, or from a lighting share which takes less time.

3. Group Activity: this is where the whole class interacts with each other. It can be linked to something you are teaching that day or it can be what ever you want. As long as the whole class is participating.

4. News and Announcements: this is generally comes at the end of morning meeting and is a great way to continue with your day. Students can read the class chart together and then move on to announcements.

The whole thing really only takes about 15-20 mins. You can make them longer or shorter if you need to.

I really like the idea of morning meetings so far. I am excited to learn more about them.

1 comment:

  1. So glad they made a positive impression on you, and looking forward to seeing what YOUR style of MMs will look like! (3 pts.)

    ReplyDelete